Saturday, April 29, 2006

 

An Occupational Hazard

My latest entry to the Southern Living Cooking contest requires many egg whites. As a result, I have accumulated over thirty yokes in my fridge. What else to do but invite friends over for dinner and dig though my cookbooks for egg yoke recipes, leading to one enormous pan of banana pudding and a batch of homemade mayonnaise. I had never made either and was delighted with their ease. I used the mayonnaise in a big batch potato salad. In addition to the potato salad and pudding, my husband and I prepared grass-feed beef burgers, cole slaw, and brown sugar lemonade. I always cook too much food for company so we have been eating leftovers for lunch all week.

Today’s Lunch
Hot Potato Salad and coleslaw
(I know, I know, this sounds weird, but trust me it is delicious).

Potato Salad
Scrub and chop 20 small red potatoes and boil in salted water until tender the night before. Cool on the counter and then move to the refrigerator. (Unless you douse the potatoes with cold water when you drain them from the hot water they will continue to cook. I don’t like the cold water method, so I remove the potatoes par-boiled. They will continue to cook as they cool.) The next day prepare mayonnaise by whisking together two large egg yokes, 1 tbsp fresh lemon juice, 1 cove of garlic, 1 tbsp mustard, and a dash of salt and pepper. Using an electric beater on medium speed slowly add 1 cup of canola oil at room temperature. Chop one red pepper and four stalks of celery. Add mayonnaise, pepper, celery, and more salt and pepper to the potatoes and mix.

Cole Slaw
Chop and wash 1 head of cabbage add four grated carrots and one head of chopped parsley. Prepare a vinaigrette dressing by mixing 1/3 cup red wine vinegar, 1 cup olive oil, a few drops of stevia, and salt and pepper to taste in a jar with a tight lid. Shake vigorously. Mix dressing and veggies together.

For leftovers mix equal amounts of cole slaw and potato salad and heat in the microwave.

Notes: Stevia is a natural sweetener from the Stevia plant native to Paraguay. It has unfortunately run afoul of the Food and Drug Administration and the food industry lobbyist and is only sold as a supplement in health food stores. A few drops can substitute gobs of sugar.

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?