Sunday, April 02, 2006

 

Romancing an Herb

I’m having a growing romance with coriander. It is one of those herbs that when other people use it I’m delighted, but I never reach for it myself. I’ve been more of a cumin woman through the years. Coriander leaves are known as cilantro, an herb I’ve always had in my repertoire. I’ve heard some people complain that Cilantro tastes like soap. I’ve never really understood this complaint, but many have made it. Some taste buds must be oriented to taste cilantros subtle undertones as ash and fat, the historical first ingredients in soap.

Today’s Lunch
Brown Rice with steamed beets, coriander, topped with onions cooked in coconut oil and Parmesan.

Cook 1/2 cup brown rice according to directions (My favorite guide is The Grains Cookbook by Bert Greene or as I like to refer to it as Greene on Grains.) Wash, peel, and chop beets and steam until tender, about 10-12 minutes. Beets tend to take longer than you think. Put 1/2 tbsp. Coconut oil in a skillet on medium heat and heat. Peel and chop an onion and sauté in oil until translucent. Add salt, pepper and 1 1/2 tsp. coriander and cook for another minute. Mix 1/4 cup Parmesan into cooled rice and then toss in beets and onions. Eat at room temperature. Serves two (although my husband would argue that point).

Notes:
We often have grains for dinner and have leftovers for lunch. This means that I don’t have to work as much in the morning. I use a lot of coconut oil. It makes everything taste fantastic, contains an abundance of medium-chain and essential fatty acids and lauric acid, making it a healthy as well as indulgent choice. You can substitute olive oil if you prefer, but it really can’t handle much heat without breaking down. Any health food-type store should carry a decent brand of coconut oil.

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?