Wednesday, April 19, 2006

 

Southern Fried Fusion

I’ve been working on my entry for the 2006 entry to the Southern Living Cooking contest. As a displaced southerner it is my way to stay connected in some small trivial way. One year I got a check for twenty bucks and my Pound Cake French Toast with Maple Whipped Cream recipie was published in the quick entertaining section. They substituted my pound cake recipe for commercial pound cake, but that’s ok. I can add Southern Living to my list of publications that are willing to pay me for my ideas.
Since I ate leftover Mu Shu vegetables for lunch. I share with you my recipe from 2005. I knew this one was a stretch, but if I were editing Southern Living I sure would have had fun with it. I was going for a mix of flavors that incorporated African, Asian, and traditional American flavors. You get brownie points for using their sponsors. I got two in this one. This year I’m going for four!

Southern Fried Fusion


1 12 oz. package rice noodles
1/2 cup chunky peanut butter
1 tbsp. Crisco canola oil
2 tbls. soy sauce
1/4 cup water (optional)
1/2 small onion
1 clove garlic
1/4 tsp. black pepper
1/8 tsp. Cayenne pepper
1 package Pilgrims Pride precooked chicken tenders
6-8 large leaves of chard or kale
Chopped peanuts
Chopped parsley

Wash chard or kale and slice in fine strips and set aside. Set a large pasta pot on stove and boil enough water to cook the entire package of noodles. Cook noodles and drain.

Finely mince the garlic and coarsely chop onion. Pour canola oil in a large fry pan and sauté garlic and onion until translucent. Add peanut putter, soy sauce, black pepper, and cayenne and stir. If needed add water to thin sauce. Add greens and Pilgrims Prides chicken tender and cook until greens are tender and chicken is warmed.

Toss with pasta and top with peanuts and parsley.

Serves 4

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?