Monday, May 08, 2006

 

The Pressure is On

A friend of mine emailed today to ask when I was going to freeze all that ham and start writing recipes again. I think I’ve had my last ham lunch for a while (and split pea and ham soup and limas cooked with ham, and so on). Now I’m faced with biscuit anxiety. No self-respecting southerner would admit they can’t make biscuits, but I’m lousy at it. So, what do I offer to bring for my officemates birthday? Shortcake. Shortcake is just a biscuit in disguise. The key to a good biscuits everyone tells me is cold ingredients and under mixing, but still mine never come out quite right. I made tonight’s batch with whole-wheat flour and sucanut (unrefined cane sugar). They are not pretty, so my ego will suffer, but when slathered with cream and topped with strawberries—that my other office mates will bring--they will be just fine. Sort of like all the things we fret about in life that may seem like a mess to us, but once we share them with friends it all becomes a good giggle.

Today’s Lunch
Coleslaw with marinated tofu and avocado topped with Annie’s Tuscany Dressing

Mix shredded cabbage, chopped red pepper, grated carrots, and chopped parsley in desired amounts. Top with fresh avocado and Baked Tofu Thai Style marinated tofu. Carry dressing separate container and dress before eating.

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?