Wednesday, May 10, 2006

 

When is a Biscuit a Cookie?

The English refer to their cookies as biscuits. I found that in this culture these words are also interchangeable when I served up my “biscuits” for my officemate’s birthday topped with strawberries (sans cream because apparently I was supposed to bring it and that little detail slipped by me). I got raves about my molasses cookies. Maybe the next time I’ll try to make cookies and I’ll get biscuits.

Shortbread (Sweetened Beaten Biscuits)
11/2 c whole spelt flour
1/2 c Sucanut
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. baking powder
6 tbsp. Cold butter
1/2 cup milk

(Spelt is an ancient wheat variety—you can purchase it at health food stores or substitute pastry flour). Mix dry ingredients in a mixing bowl. Cut cold butter into small pieces and add to bowl. Incorporate the butter into the flour with your hands until the butter. The resulting mixture should be crumbly. Slowly add the milk and toss the mixture lightly. The dough should be fairly dry. If not add a bit more flour. Pat out the mixture on a cutting board and use an upside down drinking glass dipped in flour to cut out the round shapes. Bake at 350 degrees for 20-30 minutes.

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?