Friday, June 02, 2006

 

Bad Food

We have a compost so that we never have to feel guilty about throwing out rotting vegetables or even the few vegetables we just can’t eat, such as black radish from the farm. Marginal food though I can’t bear to let rot in garden. Every once in awhile my husband or I are lured into buying a preselected bag of apples from the store. They always turn out to be tasteless. Probably the reason they want to do the selecting for you. From lemons we make lemonade from bad apples we make applesauce.


Today’s Lunch
Stewed Apples with Sliced Ham

Wash, peel, and chop apples into 1-inch pieces. (I know many who say you stopped me at “peel apples.” Peeling fruit or chopping vegetables doesn’t have to be a chore. I had a late-night lesson from a French chef about how to peel an apple that has stayed with me all my life. The secret is a very sharp knife.) Melt 1 tbsp of coconut oil in a saucepan on medium. Add apples along with 1 tbsp cinnamon and 1 tsp cloves. Cover with a lid and cook until tender. The pectin in the apples will create a lovely thick sauce that surrounds the apples. Serve hot or cold.

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?