Tuesday, July 25, 2006

 

A Moveable Feast

Every six weeks or so I gather with a group of four women to discuss literature. We are usually on topic for about ten minutes before the conversation veers toward other matters such as children, pets, husbands, boyfriends, politics, and religion. Occasionally we get a really juicy controversy going, but that is rare. The club meets because we enjoy each other’s company and it motivates us to read. To date, I have picked the only truly awful book, Shut Up He Explained by Kate Lader (Ring Lader's stepdaughter). I thought it would be an inside peek into the effect of MacCarthism in Hollywood. It turned out to be a name-dropping memoir and most of the names were lost on us.
Although it is not a requirement the host usual cooks food related to the book. For that awful memoir I fixed food appropriate for a cocktail party: Parmesan wafers, curried pecans, chipolte cream cheese dip and crackers. Tomorrow we are meeting at my house to discuss The Heart is a Lonely Hunter by my favorite author Carson McClullers. This book still leaves me as as breathless as it did when I was seventeen. In celebration of the Southern Gothic, I’m frying chicken, snapping beans, and baking cornbread.

Today’s Lunch
Black Bean Salad

Wash a half a dozen lettuce leaves and spin dry in a salad spinning. Drain one can of black beans. Combine 1/4 of the can of beans with lettuce and top with 1/4 cup mozzarella and parmesan mixed (1/8 cup of each). Top with salsa.

Note: I’m in a bit of a rut, but with the farm producing copious amounts of lettuce at the moment, I’m not complaining!

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?