Thursday, July 06, 2006

 

On the Road Again

Periodically work takes me away from my desk and sends me out into the wider world. Conferences are a fact of working life. Eating while traveling is both adventurous and torturous. On a recent trip I was relieved to find the catering service served a hot meal in the lobby of the convention hall that included fresh vegetables. Sadly, I was only about to eat there one day out of five because I was running to and fro during their abbreviated hours. That one small dish of chicken and vegetables that I did manage to eat made me extremely happy, as did the one great apple I found after three days of mealy, tasteless orbs.
The tapas bar down the street (recommended by my hair dresser) was superb,and although I don’t really want to think about the mechanics of it, there was sangria on tap. We gobbled down bits of duck, spinach salad, marinated cucumbers, and various dips and spreads topped off with Tres Leche and fried plantains.
I found my ubiquitous Greek salad—an impossible dish to screw up--in a steak house across the street from our hotel and enjoyed a brandy afterwards in the swanky hotel lobby with friends I only see in conference halls. Mostly I lived off of endless cups of tea, bottled water and turkey bagels. When I got home to my kitchen I happily ate steamed rice and broccoli for lunch for the rest of the week.

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?