Thursday, September 21, 2006

 

True, But Not Accurate

My dad was listening to American Routes on NPR as a member of the hippie tribe was interviewed. The hippie tribe is a loose assortment of girls and boys that I grew up with in the seventies. They show up in the oddest places. After listening to the interview my dad said that the interview was “true, but not very accurate.” A barrage of memoirs are hitting the newsstand about the children of the sevenites. I find the the ensuing controversy about how accurate they are amusing. I have total sympathy for the authors. After all why let the truth get in the way of a good story? I believe we have the rights to our own reflective history. Who is to say what is “true” your version or mine? So I call a moped a motorcycle, big deal. There is of course the ability to go too far; claiming feats of skill or experiences that didn’t happen at all. That is completely unacceptable. As an editor I have to be respectful of the truth. Perhaps we need a new term. Maybe the one that Calvin coined while discussing his new “revisionist” biography with Hobbs will work. If we put “revisionist” before the title “memoir” we will know that that the author is doing the best they can to tell the truth as they know it.

Today’s Lunch
Salad Greens with Pesto and Goat Sausage

My lunch for the past three days: lettuce with various veggies—today that would be kohlrabi and green pepper--topped with a tablespoons or so of pesto (see post from August 24), and half a grilled goat sausage. I don’t use any dressing as the olive oil and basil in the pesto do the trick of coating the lettuce leaves and mingling the flavors.

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?