Monday, January 01, 2007

 

Eight Mustard Geens

The other day I was eating lunch in our company break room with a new coworker. She asked me where I got the mustard greens I was eating. I told her about the farm and I learned that she was newly transplanted from North Carolina. She sorely missed her greens. The next day I brought her a batch of greens from the farm. She was thrilled. After all we displaced southerners have to look out for one another. With a nod to our collective heritage I’m adding black eyed peas with my greens today. According to southern tradition eating black eyed peas on New Years Day bring you good luck in the coming year.

Today’s Lunch
Mustard Green and Black Eyed Peas

1 bunch mustard greens
1 tbsp coconut oil
1 clove chopped garlic
1 cup dried black eyed peas
Bay leaf
Salt and pepper to taste

Soak the peas overnight (or you can skip this step and buy canned peas, but do buy fresh greens!). The next day drain the peas. Place them in a pressure cooker with enough water to cover them. Add the bay leaf and cook on medium high until the cooker reaches full pressure. Reduce heat to medium low and cook for 15 minutes. Turn off heat and allow the pressure to subside. This usually takes about 10 minutes. Wash greens thoroughly and pat dry. Slice the greens width-wise in about 3 pieces. Melt coconut oil in a large skillet on medium. Add garlic and sauté for 2-3 minutes. Add greens and cover for ten minutes or until greens are tender. Serve the greens in a bowl topped with a scoop of peas. Serves 3.

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?