Sunday, April 29, 2007

 

It's a Small World Afterall

Last week I had a friend and colleague over to dinner. She and I have much in common—our grandparents lived next door to each other in North Carolina; we share the same birthday; her daughter was born in the same Houston hospital that I was; and we work for the same company, although we live in different states. I love the small world syndrome. It makes me feel cozy. She paid me the greatest compliment stating that my turkey soup may have been the best she had ever had and would I post it on the blog. Being agreeable I said, “Sure, it’s easy first you bake a turkey….” and we both started laughing.

A few months ago my husband and I cooked a twenty-pound turkey. We basted it, stuck it in the oven and cooked it for five hours while we puttered around the house. Then my husband sliced the meat off the carcass while I made gravy with the drippings and soup stock with the bones (see post from July 17, 2006 for general instructions on how to make stock). We packed the freezer with one pound packs of turkey, quart jars of stock, and pint jars of gravy. Whenever we need a quick meal I thaw out a quart of turkey stock and a packet of turkey; fry half an onion in 1 tsp of coconut oil in a large saucepan; add 2 stalks of sliced celery, 1 tsp curry, salt and pepper to taste, 1/2 chopped apple, and a handful of chopped parsley; then add the stock and chipped turkey and heat to a simmer. I guess the latter is what I think of as the “easy” part.

(This photo has nothing to do with anything, but I do adore my cats. This is Zoe looking out the back door.)

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?