Sunday, April 22, 2007

 

Just Another Day

I used to religiously celebrate Earth Day by participating in community events. These days my celebrations are more personal. Today I’ll dig a new bed for all the seeds I have been given over the past year from friend’s gardens. I am not much of a gardener, but I do love digging in the dirt. When I’m digging I imagine that every seed I plant will grow. The earth is pure potential although the reality of my garden is much different.

For me, each day has become more personal. I refuse to let them slip by in a mindless blur. To do this I’ve had to cultivate the notion of limits. This year I’m involved in a book project so that means no training for any triathlons or biking events. My travel schedule has ramped up so that means I may have to have more modest goals about gardening. I am venturing on some hardscaping projects the softscaping will have to wait. (I am tickled that I have finally thought of a theme for my yard. This will be the yard that Craig built—as many elements of its construction will come from Craig’s List as I can manage.) I am also going to have to cut back on my involvement with the farm and blog less. These are all choices I will have to make so that I can joyfully write a book, travel, and garden, and not just endure the process.

Today’s Lunch
LuLu’s L.A.(Lower Alabama) Caviar
www.curtchapman.com/lulu_recipes.htm
Lulu is Jimmy Buffett’s sister. She operates a restaurant called Lulu’s Place on one of the intercostals waterways on the Gulf Coast side of Alabama. My husband and I have a very busy week coming up and this dish makes the perfect grab and go lunch.

6 cans (15oz) blackeyed peas, rinsed and drained
1/2 c red onion, chopped
1/3 c each of green, red, & yellow pepper, chopped
1 c cherry tomatoes, quartered
1/2 c parsley, chopped
1/2 c balsamic vinegar
1/2 c olive oil
4 T sugar
Salt & Pepper to taste

Combine above ingredients and marinate for 24 hours. Serve with saltines or tortilla chips.

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?