Monday, October 22, 2007

 

Stereotypes

My husband spent Saturday helping a friend “harvest” a buffalo from a recent hunt. I was delighted when Jim came home with his arms laden with meat. It seems that most people who meet us assume that we are vegetarian hippies. It can be sort of frustrating to be a cultural stereotype. I love meat!
Truth be told I was a vegetarian for 11 years and I did follow the Dead around a bit. I have, however, ditched my wire-rim glasses and I don’t wear Birkenstocks as much as I used to. I do like to live close to the land (as long as it is within walking distance from downtown) and make almost everything from scratch if time permits. I pretty much loathe shopping and spending money. So I guess my modern standards this makes me a hippie.

P.S. I seem to be having some technical difficulties with my blog. I can’t make computers from scratch.

Today’s Lunch
Buffalo Chili

1 lb buffalo
1 onion, chopped
1 clove garlic, chopped
1 tbsp coconut oil
1 red pepper, chopped
1 pound Shitake mushrooms, roughly chopped
1 can or cup pinto beans
1 16-oz can crushed tomatoes or 12 fresh tomatoes
1 tbsp cumin
1 tsp coriander
1 tsp paprika
1 tsp salt
1 tsp black pepper

In a large stockpot melt oil on medium head and add garlic and onion; sauté for 3 minutes. Add buffalo and herbs and spices, stir, and then reduce heat to medium low. Cover and cook for 5 minutes or until buffalo is browned. Add the rest of the ingredients, cover and cook for another 15 or 20 minutes. Serves 4.

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?